Sciatica is a common and potentially disabling type of pain affecting the sciatic nerve which runs from the lower back, through the hips and buttocks and down the back of the leg.
Most people who present to us with sciatica complain of:
- Low back pain
- Pain or a burning sensation into the buttock and often into the thigh and calf
- Pins and needles and/or numbness in the aforementioned areas
- Increase in pain when sitting, coughing or sneezing
- Having to lean towards one side
Sciatica is actually a sign of an underlying problem putting pressure on a nerve in the lower back. These are caused by a lot of the same issues that lead to low back pain.
How to ease Sciatica
Chiropractic treatment helps to restore movement and function to the lower back, decreasing pain and inflammation in the affected area. Rehabilitative exercises to strengthen the affected area of the spine are essential.
How quickly can one treat sciatica?
This is one of the most commonly asked questions, and the answer is that it’s completely unique to you.
It also depends a lot on the length of time someone has suffered and on the principal causes. Once your chiropractor has completed the case history, initial exam and treatment he will be able to give you the best guideline of the timeframe for the results you desire.
Following a course of treatment many people find a significant reduction in the severity of their symptoms.
About your chiropractor, Andrew Robson
Andrew Robson is a qualified chiropractor, registered with the General Chiropractic Council and licensed to practice in the UK. Andrew is a member of the United Chiropractic Association.
- We treat you as a unique individual
- Your treatment programme will be tailored specifically to you. There will be no ‘one size fits all’ approach
- Advice on achieving good posture at work and at rest
- When the time comes a personalised exercise programme to stabilise and rehabilitate your spine
- Nutritional and stress-reduction advice to complement your programme
- A safe, clean and welcoming environment so that you can relax
Book your initial appointment now
We are available to help relieve you from sciatica.
Sciatica can range from being irritating and inconvenient to being severely debilitating. Get in touch today to find out what we can do to make life easier for you.
The root cause of sciatica is underlying issues in the low back. Your chiropractor will look at the root cause of the pain and provide a long-term solution.